Following Nicks’ sloppy outing on Monday night — two catches and three drops — Coughlin lashed out at the 25-year-old, saying there’s no excuse for the butterfingers.
“The competitor that he is, he’s very much aware,” Coughlin said, via the New York Daily News. “And quite frankly he’s always gobbled those balls up. So explanation? I wouldn’t offer an excuse. I’m sure he wouldn’t either.”
Taking it a step further, Coughlin iterated that Nicks simply isn’t a reliable target this year.
“You’ve got to get to the point where the reliability factor is there as strongly as it always has been,” Coughlin said. “Has it been there up to this point? No. But we’re saying ‘Let’s get back to work and get this done.’ We count on this guy.”
Coughlin is hardly Mr. Popular right now, but he does have a point about Nicks, who’s recorded just 27 catches for 470 yards and no touchdowns in 2013. Considering Nicks is in a contract year — he’ll hit free agency in March — the lackluster numbers certainly raise eyebrows.
This also isn’t the first time the two have bumped heads this season. Last month, Coughlin was reportedly “irked” by Nicks, who complained after being held catchless against the Panthers.
“I can’t throw it to myself,” Nicks said at the time.
Apparently he can’t catch it by himself, either.
(Photo credit: Al Bello/Getty Images)