Speaking to reporters on Monday, the Colts’ veteran receiver said he’s “very, very, very confident” that he’ll return from his torn ACL better than before.
Wayne suffered the injury during Indy’s win over the Broncos on Oct. 22, and was placed on injured reserve the following day. It ended his streak of 189 consecutive games played.
The 35-year-old said last month that he plans to resume running in mid-January. Coach Chuck Pagano furthered that notion today, claiming Wayne “beat trainers to the building all the time” and is “way ahead of schedule” in his rehab.
Wayne is signed through 2014 at a reasonable $4 million, but questions will remain about his impact in an offense that’s predicated on youth. He may have to take a backseat to T.Y Hilton, who enjoyed a breakout season and offers much more long-term value.