Woods' swing coach resigns

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 papago

papago
  • Members
  • 11,578 posts

Posted May 11 2010, 07:53 AM

Hank Haney says in a statement to the Golf Channel that he enjoyed working with Woods but he thinks it's time for him to step aside as his coach. Haney says it was his decision.

"I have informed Tiger Woods this evening that I will no longer be his coach," Haney said in a statement posted on his website. "I would like to thank Tiger for the opportunity that I have had to work with him over the past [six-plus] years.

"Tiger Woods has done the work to achieve a level of greatness that I believe the game of golf has never seen before and I will always appreciate the opportunity that I have had to contribute to his successes."

There had been speculation at last weekend's The Players Championship that he was about to leave Haney, his swing coach since 2004. But Woods said earlier Monday he was working with Haney on his swing.

"I talked to Hank about some of the stuff. We're still working on it," Woods said. "We have a lot of work to do. I can't make the movements that I made before because of the neck. I need to get healthy to play the proper way."

ESPN

Haney's resignation is another blow for Woods, who was forced to withdraw during the final round at TPC Sawgrass because of neck spasms. It was his first withdrawal from a tournament since the Nissan Open at Riviera in 2006, and came on the heels of his missed cut at Quail Hollow following the highest 36-hole score of his career.

Woods plans to have an MRI when he returns to Orlando, Fla. He has struggled since tying for fourth at the Masters, his first competition in five months.

He said his schedule is "up in the air" and could be based on what is uncovered in the MRI.

Woods said during Monday's news conference that his neck started bothering him two weeks before the Masters. He brushed it off as "no big deal" and believed he could play through the pain. That changed on Sunday at The Players Championship, where his creaky neck locked up and prevented him from making his usual forceful turn on the ball on even a routine shot.

Woods, who was in suburban Philadelphia to promote this summer's AT&T National, said he's been taking anti-inflammatory drugs, but they have not helped. He was noncommittal about playing the U.S. Open on June 17-20.

Haney was right by Woods' side as he prepared to compete in the Masters in his first tournament since a sex scandal shattered his image.

"As we all know, Tiger has been through a lot in the past six months, and I really believe that given the chance, mind free and injury free, we will all see Tiger Woods play once again like we all know he can," Haney said. "I wish Tiger well, not only with his golf, but in finding peace and happiness in all aspects of his life. Tiger knows that if he ever needs me in any way, whether it be with his golf or just as a friend he can always call."

Haney emphasized that he was not fired and just feels it is time to "move forward in other areas."

"Just so there is no confusion, I would like to make it clear that this is my decision," Haney said in the statement.

#2 Leroy

Leroy

I Coon, Therefore I Am...

• Members
  • 36,423 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 11 2010, 08:03 AM

One of the few things about golf that is fascinating to me is how guys an maintain such close professional/personal relationships in an individual sport. In order to be someone's swing coach, you probably have to spend a shitload of time with them. I would think five or six years of the same swing coach might be about where it tops out if you're always looking to improve on your game.

That's why I'm really amazed at how guys keep the same Caddy forever, but then again, that could be as much a matter of routine as it is a matter of the partnership.

Of course, that's not going to stop the National Enquirer style rumors of this being evidence of Tiger's world further imploding...

At least that's this layman's outlook of it... :shrug:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Stooge would notice ta-tas. I always notice such things, even if I were evacuating a burning building with just seconds to spare. I would have noticed had I been running from the World Trade Center as it was collapsing. Might as well die with a smile on my face. I think the saying is take time to smell the roses!

4thStooge, on when it's appropriate to check out and mentally approve of a woman's womanly assets.

Why we gotta treat the anus with so much nonchalance?

Stigmata

GO GATA!!!

#3 papago

papago
  • Members
  • 11,578 posts

Posted May 11 2010, 09:02 AM

One of the few things about golf that is fascinating to me is how guys an maintain such close professional/personal relationships in an individual sport. In order to be someone's swing coach, you probably have to spend a shitload of time with them. I would think five or six years of the same swing coach might be about where it tops out if you're always looking to improve on your game.

That's why I'm really amazed at how guys keep the same Caddy forever, but then again, that could be as much a matter of routine as it is a matter of the partnership.

Of course, that's not going to stop the National Enquirer style rumors of this being evidence of Tiger's world further imploding...

At least that's this layman's outlook of it... :shrug:

Actually they don't. The top guys tend to keep the same "hoofer" but the reality is that most of them switch every 2 years or so. Being a caddy for a tour player isn't the greatest of jobs for a family man. Many give up "hoofing" after only a couple of years. Most career caddies are players that didn't make it on tour and lost their family lives trying to do so. Miserable career choice. Ranks right up thee with Hockey trainers.

As for swing coaches. You can't fix a golf swing over night. The rule of thumb is that one change will take at least 2 months to become natural. The big thing I try to get kids to do is not experiment and stick with one thought until it either proves itself to be good or bad. When we send them to a true teaching pro we go to learn how to reinforce that lesson.

In that regard having a swing coach should be a long term relationship. In this case what is different is that the coach ended the relationship not the player. That is very much not the norm at any level of Golf.

#4 Leroy

Leroy

• Members
  • 36,423 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 11 2010, 09:07 AM

Actually they don't. The top guys tend to keep the same "hoofer" but the reality is that most of them switch every 2 years or so. Being a caddy for a tour player isn't the greatest of jobs for a family man. Many give up "hoofing" after only a couple of years. Most career caddies are players that didn't make it on tour and lost their family lives trying to do so. Miserable career choice. Ranks right up thee with Hockey trainers.

As for swing coaches. You can't fix a golf swing over night. The rule of thumb is that one change will take at least 2 months to become natural. The big thing I try to get kids to do is not experiment and stick with one thought until it either proves itself to be good or bad. When we send them to a true teaching pro we go to learn how to reinforce that lesson.

In that regard having a swing coach should be a long term relationship. In this case what is different is that the coach ended the relationship not the player. That is very much not the norm at any level of Golf.

Makes sense... :shrug:

Oh, Stooge would notice ta-tas. I always notice such things, even if I were evacuating a burning building with just seconds to spare. I would have noticed had I been running from the World Trade Center as it was collapsing. Might as well die with a smile on my face. I think the saying is take time to smell the roses!

4thStooge, on when it's appropriate to check out and mentally approve of a woman's womanly assets.

Stigmata

GO GATA!!!

#5 Ben6821

Ben6821

There's no innocence, only strangers.

• Members
  • 30,523 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 11 2010, 09:27 AM

all of that "official" response above is just window dressing. The truth is that ever since Tiger's controversy erupted, Mr Haney has become really tired of people snickering when he identifies himself as Tiger Woods' "swing" coach.

#6 John Hannah

John Hannah

"Doom"

• Members
  • 11,697 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 11 2010, 11:39 AM

Somewhere deep inside Jack Nicklaus has to be smiling. It's looking like the wheels are coming off.

#7 Leroy

Leroy

• Members
  • 36,423 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 11 2010, 11:54 AM

Somewhere deep inside Jack Nicklaus has to be smiling. It's looking like the wheels are coming off.

Long way from it. Did a bit of research on it and it seems many had been in Woods' ear telling him to get rid of the guy anyway...they were saying Tiger was winning in spite of Haney's instruction, almost mocking him.

Long term, this might be the best move for Woods.

That said, Tiger won 1/3 of the events he participated in under this guy. That's insane. I wonder what the record is with the other coach he had.

Tiger could basically piss away the next ten years and be an average high profile golfer and still take down Jack's majors' record. :lol:

Stigmata

GO GATA!!!

#8 John Hannah

John Hannah

"Doom"

• Members
  • 11,697 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 11 2010, 12:15 PM

Long way from it. Did a bit of research on it and it seems many had been in Woods' ear telling him to get rid of the guy anyway...they were saying Tiger was winning in spite of Haney's instruction, almost mocking him.

That said, Tiger won 1/3 of the events he participated in under this guy. That's insane. I wonder what the record is with the other coach he had.

Tiger could basically piss away the next ten years and be an average high profile golfer and still take down Jack's majors' record. :lol:

We'll see, but it's undeniable that Tiger is hitting some turbulence lately. And, majors don't come easily to average high profile guys. How many more does he need?

#9 Leroy

Leroy

• Members
  • 36,423 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 11 2010, 12:28 PM

We'll see, but it's undeniable that Tiger is hitting some turbulence lately. And, majors don't come easily to average high profile guys. How many more does he need?

Five to win.

Stigmata

GO GATA!!!

#10 papago

papago
  • Members
  • 11,578 posts

Posted May 12 2010, 08:19 AM

Tiger could basically piss away the next ten years and be an average high profile golfer and still take down Jack's majors' record. :huh:

Not the scuttle butt that has been going around since before the car accident.

Truth be told Tiger's personality ranks right up there with his 2 favorite buddies. All could be elected ASSHOLE of the year at any time (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree). Jordan and Barkley are not very good influences in personal life or when it comes to golf. Other than Butch and Hank their are no better teachers and he has now burned both bridges. If anything people were questioning Tiger's commitment to ANY COACH.

Golf Coaches don't fire athlete's EVER.

Just about every Pro golfer I have eve talked to will tell you if your personal life is messed up your golf game is messed up. Tiger has been dealing with his private life more than golf for over a year and a half and it is not likely to change until he and Elin settle. Trevino and Watson will tell you it took 3 years every time they went through it. Amazing how their career success coincided with a divorce becoming final.

Tiger will fall from the top spot in golf this year and it will take over a year to get it back. If he can get that Zen thing working again. I suspect he will but it is going to take more time than both this bulging dick and divorce take.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online