5 replies to this topic

#1 gbpackers231

gbpackers231

Legend

• Members
  • 6,397 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted January 19 2012, 11:41 PM

It pains me to start this so early, but who do you think is coming or going? As of 11/20/11, which is the latest i could find, the packers had $6.2 million in cap space.

Finley- a lot of fans (including myself) are calling for him to get the ax, but i think TT will give him one more chance and slap the franchise tag on him. hes only 24 so he deserves another chance, but we have other young tight ends on the roster that have shown promise as well

Grant- I think he is gone as starks has shown to be pretty much just as good and saine has shown flashes of promise

Wells- I hope he is able to resign, as good centers arent something to just let walk out the door

Flynn- signs with the redskins

Bush- probably back

Green- probably back

Walden- probably will be allowed to let walk. was given a bigger role because of his play last season and didnt exactly live up to expectations

Woodson- theres been murmurs that hes going to be released because hes due $11.5 mil next season including a $4 mil bonus in april, but i would be shocked if thompson doesnt retain him. hes the emotional leader of the defense (if not the team), and he can still play at a high level. another alternative is to move him to safety full-time.

Driver- sadly, i think its the end of the road for driver in the green and gold. he's also due a $2.2 mil bonus, and the production just isnt there anymore for that type of money. while im not totally certain he'll retire (as he said he wants to play still), i think hes done in green bay. itd be sad to see him go though, and especially to see him in a different uniform

Clifton- kind of iffy on his return too, given his injuries and age, and that hes due over $5 mil as well next season

collins- it is unknown til march whether or not his injury is career ending. hopefully he's able to come back because he is one of, if not the best, safeties in the nfc

now, as for who's coming in? if you ask what i want, how about a pass rusher? robert mathis? mario williams? john abraham? all are free agents, although we're very unlikely to make a big splash. john abraham might be in our ballpark however so we'll have to see.
cullen jenkins is also due a big bonus and ive heard that the eagles might not be willing to pay it, making him a free agent. i wouldnt mind seeing him back as a packer, as it would surely help, despite him being 2 years older than what he last was. we desperately need a pass rusher though

i would also like to see tori gurley and graham harrell come off the practice squad to the team by the preseason, as ive heard folks around the nfl are raving about both of them

in addition, joe philbin, dom capers, and others may be gone. i hope and pray we keep dom capers

so all in all it should be a very tumultuous offseason for the packers for various reasons
May those that love us, love us; & for those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts; & if he can't turn there hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we may know them by their limping. -An Irish Toast

#2 skins_fan_since_cradle

skins_fan_since_cradle

If you're not first, you're last!

• Members
  • 3,420 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted January 20 2012, 09:26 AM

Just read that the shanahans aren't high on matt flynn. I see him going to a team like the seahawks or cards, or dolphins.

#3 gbpackers231

gbpackers231

Legend

• Members
  • 6,397 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted January 20 2012, 09:44 AM

Just read that the shanahans aren't high on matt flynn. I see him going to a team like the seahawks or cards, or dolphins.

that wouldve been my other guess
May those that love us, love us; & for those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts; & if he can't turn there hearts, may he turn their ankles, so we may know them by their limping. -An Irish Toast

#4 skins_fan_since_cradle

skins_fan_since_cradle

If you're not first, you're last!

• Members
  • 3,420 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted January 20 2012, 10:40 AM

that wouldve been my other guess

seriously, almost anything is an upgrade over t-jack :shakehead:

#5 jst37

jst37
  • Members
  • 9,777 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted January 20 2012, 05:25 PM

Agreed, sucks we're doing this already. What a disappointing end to the greatest regular season in franchise history.

Finley - he didn't meet expectations this year because of the killer drops, but he's 24 and a matchup nightmare. He will be back and I think Packers fans will be grateful for that next year. Both sides want a long term deal. He will be tagged if they can't agree on a deal I think.

Wells - he could command some pretty big money, and I think TT would not be afraid to let him walk if he's asking for too much.

Grant - no question there's no need to re-sign a 30 year old back when we have Starks and Alex Green already.

Clifton - I think he gets one more year with us while Sherrod tries to return from his injury.

Flynn - Gone, maybe to Cleveland, Miami, or Seattle? I've heard tag and trade rumors. Would be nice if a team gave up too much (Kolb style), but I'm not sure GB risks getting stuck paying 14 mil for a backup if they can't deal him.

Bush - Though we could keep Lee for much cheaper, I hope we re-sign him. He's excellent on ST and gives us some much needed depth in the secondary.

Green - gone.

Walden - see ya.

Woodson - no way he's going anywhere.

Driver - Think his time is done in GB. He wants to still play, and we can't justify paying I think 5 mil to our #5 WR. Maybe if he took a huge cut, but I think the team wants to see what Gurley and Borel can do. I heard keeping 6 WRs is a possibility and cutting Quarless, but I doubt it. If he's gone, I wish him well and hope he comes back to GB to coach if he's interested.

Collins - this is huge. I really hope he's coming along because the secondary missed him big time. Peprah is a backup at the very best, we can't have him starting another season. Collins was able to mask Peprah's flaws much better than Burnett, that's for sure.

I highly doubt we sign a big name pass rusher in FA given the way TT operates, no matter how badly the fans would like to see it. Cliff Avril would be nice. Mario Williams would be incredible. Won't happen though. Heard the Jenkins rumor as well. I wouldn't complain if it's him vs. signing no one. Can't get much worse than the situation they faced this year.

And so, as usual, the team tries to improve it's flaws through the draft. Biggest needs:

1a.) DE
1b.) OLB
3.) S (if Collins isn't cleared)
4.) CB
5.) ILB

Packers fan really want Upshaw from Bama at #28, but I'm not sure he'll fall that far. He's undersized though, so there's a chance he slips.

maybe, maybe not, maybe fuck yourself

#6 gbpackers231

gbpackers231

Legend

• Members
  • 6,397 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted January 20 2012, 07:43 PM

philbin is gone to miami. yeah i dont think upshaw would fall that far, especially after the title game performance. id like to see a big free agent move, but i dont think any of the guys we'd need would be the types of freen agents TT goes after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online