#1 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,695 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 02 2016, 08:02 AM

Guess it is time to get this started.

I started the festivities by watching films of Super Bowl I from the Tivo. 

This could be Manning's swan song. 

The weather in Santa Clara on Sunday: high of 67 and sunny to partly cloudy.

#2 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,341 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 02 2016, 10:04 AM

Cam will be the key to this SB, the only way the Panthers lose, IMO, is if he plays bad.  Also, as much as I like watching Cam play and appreciate the MVP season he has put in, I have to disagree with his statement that "Nobody has seen nothing like him before and they are scared".  The double negative aside, I'm pretty sure I've seen and we've all seen a skinnier version of Cam back in the 1990 season by the name of Randall Cunningham who passed for 3,500 yards and 30 tds and ran for 950 more and 5tds.  I do think that Cam's career has a better chance of longevity and consistency because of his size. But to say we've never seen anything like him before isn't true.  He definitely has more meat on the bones to protect himself.  But don't rule out the possibility that a major knee injury could derail Cam's stay at the top.

Also, I just read comments from Peyton that "Cam will be the face of the NFL very soon".  I think this was just Peyton's way of showing respect to a worthy opponent this week and not giving any bulletin board material.  But it does bring up a good question.  Can a player, a QB like Cam become the face of the league???  Does he deserve it?  Sure he does.  But to be the face of the league that would also mean that corporate, white America would have to endorse him and except and promote him and afford him the same opportunities in terms of endorsements.  Will they??  I'm not so sure.  Will Cam be the one saying "Chicken Parm you taste so good."  Or be the face of Papa Johns??  Look at Papa Johns current three faces of their franchises, Peyton, JJ Watt, and Joe Montana.  Who do those three relate too?  Corporate white America??  Lets look at which NFL players are the most seen through their endorsement deals currently.

1. Peyton Manning

2. Drew Brees

3. Eli Manning

4. Aaron Rogers

5. JJ Watt

6. Tom Brady

7. Marshawn Lynch

8. Tony Romo

9. Russell Wilson

Russell Wilson is an African American QB with a squeaky clean image who has played in the last two SBs, and he's 9th on this list.  Whether we want to admit it or not, color and race DOES play a huge role in "being the face of the league".  Is it right?  No, and frankly I'm surprised there aren't more people speaking out about it.  But what I see here is that there is a huge bias towards WHITE QBs.  The one outlier is Marshawn Lynch.  Who oddly enough, for a guy that doesn't like to speak to the media has done a great job of marketing himself. 

Probably not the SB talk many of you wanted here, but I found it an interesting conversation piece.

#3 Cats

Cats

Yes we Cam!

• Members
  • 19,019 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 02 2016, 11:38 AM

Lots of QBs have run. Cunningham, Young, Vick, etc

Cam is one of a kind. Not b/c he runs and throws. But b/c how physical he plays and how he runs. Stresses a D different than Cunningham, Vick, Young, etc

Cam's size and how he runs make him a unique. A unique mismatch IMO. Cunningham could run a 7 yard power....and literally move a DT, LB and then S out of the way as he went in.

Historically running QBs run away. There have been great ones and bad ones. Cam is the first one that not only runs at people but is the majority of the time the bigger and stronger part of the equation. Not sure any other dual threat is like that. Technically Tebow could run similar but that is the only part he could accomplish

#4 stigmata

stigmata

All about dat action, boss.

• Members
  • 14,159 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 02 2016, 02:04 PM

Cam will be the key to this SB, the only way the Panthers lose, IMO, is if he plays bad. 

If the Panthers were facing the 2013 Broncos, I'd suggest that we could expect a similar result. That Broncos team was all offense and just enough D to get by.

The 2015 Broncos are a completely different beast, defensively. For all the talk about Manning, that defense is why they're in the SB and is the main reason they have a shot to win it, imo.

I still think Carolina wins, probably by at least 10, though. The Carolina D may not have had the statistical excellence that the Denver D has this season, but they're plenty good enough to throw Manning/Osweiler off their games. The Panthers front 7 are just brutal, and Denver's not going to be able to run the ball.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

#5 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,341 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 02 2016, 02:46 PM

The reason for my prediction was this.  I think that the Panthers running game and O-line are good enough to keep the Broncos DF on their heals.  They won't make them one dimensional.  In the playoff game vs Pittsburgh the Broncos DF was kept off balance by a balanced attack that used some more non-traditional running plays like WR reverses, but until Denver took the lead and knew the Pittsburgh was going to have to pass to get the lead back, they weren't able to pressure Ben.  The other way for Denver to win this game other than some Cam Newton mistakes (turnovers) is to jump out to an early lead via the OF or special teams.  Statistically, Denver's DF, as individual players ranks out from top to bottom as the best DF since the 00 Ravens.  But Peyton is no longer capable of carrying a team to victory with his arm, and that Panthers DF that he will be going against is pretty damn good so I don't see them jumping out to that early lead via their OF, like they did against the Pats.  

#6 Philly Pride

Philly Pride

child please

• Members
  • 32,122 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 03 2016, 06:31 PM

I'll be happy with either outcome.

No way Manning doesn't retire after this game.  He was recently told he needs hip replacement surgery, plus his neck and back issues.  Just hang em up after this man, for your own personal well being at least

Posted Image

#7 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,341 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 04 2016, 09:12 AM

Yeah, it's not like he needs the money.  Although, I heard that the LA Rams would like to sign him for a one year deal as they move to their new city.

#8 Philly Pride

Philly Pride

child please

• Members
  • 32,122 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 03:32 AM

Why would he want to go there, though?  His body is all beat up, and he wouldn't put them over the top for a championship.

Posted Image

#9 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,695 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 07:24 AM

Why would he want to go there, though?  His body is all beat up, and he wouldn't put them over the top for a championship.

Agreed.  I think he hangs them up, either after tonight or in the coming weeks.  If he isn't on a winner tonight, there are a handful of teams out there he could go to with any expectation of winning next year.  The Rams are not one of them.  They could move to the Vatican or the planet Krypton and it would not change where they are right now.

#10 Cats

Cats

Yes we Cam!

• Members
  • 19,019 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 08:32 AM

MVP
cam_newton_carolina_panthers.jpg

#11 doodybritches

doodybritches

Boats and hoes!!!!

• Members
  • 9,565 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 02:16 PM

We haven't ever seen anyone like Cam. I don't have an issue with the Randall Cunningham comparison, I just disagree with it. Randall wasn't going to take a known QB running play and seek contact to run over a linebacker in the hole. What Cam can do is basically take the best of Randall, Vick, and Tebow and combine them into something we have never seen in one player.

If this isn't Peyton's last game, I'll be disappointed. I don't want to see the greats of the game hold on too long, and quite honestly although he is in the Superbowl I already feel as if he has held on too long regardless of tonight's outcome.

I think the key to the game is that Manning won't be able to beat the secondary of Carolina when it matters. Of all position groups on defense for both teams Carolina's secondary is the weakest and Manning's lack of arm talent won't allow the team to capitalize.

I hope we get a good game, but I have a feeling this game may be over midway through the third quarter.

Carolina 27 Denver 13

#12 Ben6821

Ben6821

There's no innocence, only strangers.

• Members
  • 30,508 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 07:11 PM

It was not a strip-sack you goddamn morons....a.k.a. the non existent play that you invented about a decade ago...

It was a fumble...period. the ball was free and clear long before any part of Newton's ass touched the ground.

#13 Leroy

Leroy

I Coon, Therefore I Am...

• Members
  • 36,418 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 07:20 PM

Whaddup Doody!  

Always nice to have an appearance by the Britches up in here.  

Carolina seems to have the jitters. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Stooge would notice ta-tas. I always notice such things, even if I were evacuating a burning building with just seconds to spare. I would have noticed had I been running from the World Trade Center as it was collapsing. Might as well die with a smile on my face. I think the saying is take time to smell the roses!

4thStooge, on when it's appropriate to check out and mentally approve of a woman's womanly assets.

Why we gotta treat the anus with so much nonchalance?

Stigmata

GO GATA!!!

#14 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,695 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 07:24 PM

Whaddup Doody!  

Always nice to have an appearance by the Britches up in here.  

Carolina seems to have the jitters. 

They do look apprehensive.   

Then again, so did the replay official.  This is not the first time I have been left wondering what the purpose of instant replay review is if the guy doing the review is going to eff up what looked like a pretty easy call.  Note to the league: I don’t care how much the ball moves, if it never hits the ground, the one thing it can not be is incomplete.

Denver's defense looks very good. 

#15 Leroy

Leroy

I Coon, Therefore I Am...

• Members
  • 36,418 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 07 2016, 07:32 PM

Talib is going to do his very best to keep Carolina in the game. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Stooge would notice ta-tas. I always notice such things, even if I were evacuating a burning building with just seconds to spare. I would have noticed had I been running from the World Trade Center as it was collapsing. Might as well die with a smile on my face. I think the saying is take time to smell the roses!

4thStooge, on when it's appropriate to check out and mentally approve of a woman's womanly assets.

Why we gotta treat the anus with so much nonchalance?

Stigmata

GO GATA!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online