#1 badasp

badasp

Driveby Poster

• Members
  • 2,247 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 08 2017, 09:28 AM

Dearest Cameron and Donald,

Nice job albeit two years overdue firing Claude. Not so nice job holding a presser during the Pats SB rally; that was a dick move par excellence. You owe the Pats and their fans an apology you two ass hats.

UMass Lowell River Hawks - 2013, 2014, and 2017 Hockey East Champions!

#2 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,402 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 08 2017, 09:52 AM

Badasp,

I understand in the NHL that the thing to do is fire the coach because you can't fire the players.  BUT, I think in this case that the axe should have fallen much higher up.  Instead of recycling guys, the B's needed to call some of that young talent up to start the season and give them experience.  Also, after missing the postseason last year, they should have thought long and hard about getting rid of some guys well into the back nine of their careers and considered acquire draft picks and gotten rid of some of them, i.e players like Chara, McQuaid, and D. Moore.  And WHY in the blue hell did they sign Backes in the offseason, when center was probably the least position of need.  Plus, Backes is a hack, who in a league where more and more emphasis is being placed on skating and speed shouldn't be more than a 4th line player.

#3 badasp

badasp

Driveby Poster

• Members
  • 2,247 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 12 2017, 03:09 PM

Badasp,

I understand in the NHL that the thing to do is fire the coach because you can't fire the players.  BUT, I think in this case that the axe should have fallen much higher up.  Instead of recycling guys, the B's needed to call some of that young talent up to start the season and give them experience.  Also, after missing the postseason last year, they should have thought long and hard about getting rid of some guys well into the back nine of their careers and considered acquire draft picks and gotten rid of some of them, i.e players like Chara, McQuaid, and D. Moore.  And WHY in the blue hell did they sign Backes in the offseason, when center was probably the least position of need.  Plus, Backes is a hack, who in a league where more and more emphasis is being placed on skating and speed shouldn't be more than a 4th line player.

I do not disagree however Claude was as much of the problem as Sweeney and Neely. He resisted playing the young talent that is vital and when pressed to do so he attempted to change their games and force them to play his game. There's a laundry list of young talent that is no longer here because of it. I think Sweeney looked at all the youth he's about to infuse into the lineup and said it has to be done. My issue is they could have done it Tuesday AM and achieved the same goal.

#4 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,402 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 13 2017, 09:37 AM

Claude is a proven commodity, and if you're going to infuse and decide to go to the youth movement then a guy like him would be a good choice to coach that young talent.  Although, you are seeing that positive bump that comes with have a new voice after the coaching change since they are 3-0 after the move.

#5 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,695 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 13 2017, 10:27 AM

Asp, how much of this whole scenario was philosophy driven (we like veterans) vs. hanging onto the group that brought home a Cup?  As far as the timing....yeah, it shows either denseness or some half-arsed effort to keep their foot in the door during the news/sports cycle of the day.

The recent wins have put them in fair position to make the playoffs.  If they want a push to go into the youth movement, that may not be a good thing since their chances if they qualify are marginal at best.  Their major obstacle is they have played four more games than two of the three or four teams chasing them in the division, and also four more than the Islanders for the wild card.  But they are in a lot better shape than they were without the recent wins.

#6 badasp

badasp

Driveby Poster

• Members
  • 2,247 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 27 2017, 05:34 PM

Asp, how much of this whole scenario was philosophy driven (we like veterans) vs. hanging onto the group that brought home a Cup?  As far as the timing....yeah, it shows either denseness or some half-arsed effort to keep their foot in the door during the news/sports cycle of the day.

The recent wins have put them in fair position to make the playoffs.  If they want a push to go into the youth movement, that may not be a good thing since their chances if they qualify are marginal at best.  Their major obstacle is they have played four more games than two of the three or four teams chasing them in the division, and also four more than the Islanders for the wild card.  But they are in a lot better shape than they were without the recent wins.

Stooge,

I believe management wanted to integrate younger players into the system. I also believe Claude was a veteran player guy who used young players as sparingly as he could. Said young players had to conform to his style (defense first) at the expense of their offensive skills. Marchand conformed; Kessel, Seguin, and Hamilton didn't. I think it's supported by what's occurring now. They brought up an assistant from Providence who was familiar with and skilled at working with younger players. He observes and becomes acclimated to the locker room and takes over when Neely and Sweeney finally say enough is enough. Please note that I'm not absolving them either; they've done an equally piss poor job. Time will tell but I like what I've seen out of the team since the firing.

PS - The reason why they won the Cup in '11 was because Tim Thomas played otherworldly...not because of Claude.

#7 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,695 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 28 2017, 08:20 AM

Stooge,

I believe management wanted to integrate younger players into the system. I also believe Claude was a veteran player guy who used young players as sparingly as he could. Said young players had to conform to his style (defense first) at the expense of their offensive skills. Marchand conformed; Kessel, Seguin, and Hamilton didn't. I think it's supported by what's occurring now. They brought up an assistant from Providence who was familiar with and skilled at working with younger players. He observes and becomes acclimated to the locker room and takes over when Neely and Sweeney finally say enough is enough. Please note that I'm not absolving them either; they've done an equally piss poor job. Time will tell but I like what I've seen out of the team since the firing.

PS - The reason why they won the Cup in '11 was because Tim Thomas played otherworldly...not because of Claude.

I agree, Asp.  Thomas was the key to the B's Cup win in '11.  He was a living testimonial to what a hot goaltender can do in the playoffs.  I think goaltenders win more Cups than coaches do, at least when you get to the finals.

I guess the good news is Claude did not ruin the younger talent.  As you see, the evidence for that is what has happened with them since his departure. 

#8 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,402 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 28 2017, 09:08 AM

I still think Cam Neely is in over his head.  If you look at former star players getting into coaching/management, it's interesting to see how seem to have success, like Ron Hextall and Steve Yzerman and others are failures like Gretzky, Roy, and yes, I think Cam Neely is getting close to that list.

Whoever is the head of scouting with Boston should get a raise.  Where as I think a new GM is in order.

#9 badasp

badasp

Driveby Poster

• Members
  • 2,247 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 28 2017, 05:09 PM

I still think Cam Neely is in over his head.  If you look at former star players getting into coaching/management, it's interesting to see how seem to have success, like Ron Hextall and Steve Yzerman and others are failures like Gretzky, Roy, and yes, I think Cam Neely is getting close to that list.

Whoever is the head of scouting with Boston should get a raise.  Where as I think a new GM is in order.

I love Cam Neely the player but I'm not sold on him as the President; ditto Don Sweeney. Time will tell on both.

#10 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,402 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 01 2017, 10:41 AM

The biggest problem with Cam and Sweeney that I see is that they are too attached to the fan base and let sentiment enter into some of their decision making.

Trade deadline today, either we will see a lot of movement or very little.  The looming expansion draft is going to have an impact, but with so many teams still "in the mix" for the postseason, I don't know who will be buyers and sellers.

#11 badasp

badasp

Driveby Poster

• Members
  • 2,247 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 01 2017, 01:11 PM

The biggest problem with Cam and Sweeney that I see is that they are too attached to the fan base and let sentiment enter into some of their decision making.

Trade deadline today, either we will see a lot of movement or very little.  The looming expansion draft is going to have an impact, but with so many teams still "in the mix" for the postseason, I don't know who will be buyers and sellers.

I'm not sure about that; at least not to the extent it's occurring in say Philly. If you take a step back and look at what's going on there's a definite youth movement...as there should be. You now have a coach in place who is familiar with both the youth on the team and in Providence. How long the coaching change bump lasts remains to be seen but there are locker room rumblings that the kids now feel they have a legitimate chance to play and contribute; no longer stifled by Claude. Add to that they have some serious college level talent that will be coming into the mix post NCAA tourney (Go Riverhawks!) and things are suddenly looking a lot better. There are viable options that can positively impact the team both short and long term. It also has a positive effect on how they approach trade deadline decisions/trades. Short term I'd like to see them add some depth via trading picks instead of youth. Long term I want to see a viable back up/successor to Rask (I really want Connor Hellebuyck but that's not happening).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online