• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,012 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 28 2017, 09:20 AM

I think you see that Ron Hextall is trying to overhaul the roster and style of the team on the fly.  I like the young, talented puck moving DF he has brought in knowing THAT is where the future of the game is headed.  However, the lack of a goaltender continues to be this team's Achilles heal, and also the other overwhelming short coming is that Claude Giroux is not the superstar that people though he was going to be.  Dude is a slightly above average 5 on 5 player who collects stats above his value on the powerplay where he is very good.  A couple more losses and if I were Hextall, I'd see what draft picks and young talent I could get in return for a guy like Giroux or Voracek.

Also, I see the Flyers haven't totally lost their identity with Brandon Manning being suspended for 2 games for a late, high hit at the Outdoor series game. 

#2 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,605 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 28 2017, 09:49 AM

I think you see that Ron Hextall is trying to overhaul the roster and style of the team on the fly.  I like the young, talented puck moving DF he has brought in knowing THAT is where the future of the game is headed.  However, the lack of a goaltender continues to be this team's Achilles heal, and also the other overwhelming short coming is that Claude Giroux is not the superstar that people though he was going to be.  Dude is a slightly above average 5 on 5 player who collects stats above his value on the powerplay where he is very good.  A couple more losses and if I were Hextall, I'd see what draft picks and young talent I could get in return for a guy like Giroux or Voracek.

Also, I see the Flyers haven't totally lost their identity with Brandon Manning being suspended for 2 games for a late, high hit at the Outdoor series game. 

They certainly picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

The Flyers, perhaps more than any other NHL team, have a long, slow transition in their identity.  The Broad Street Bully culture has a long, embedded history and it still lurks.  The problem is even as they start to change, when they hit the skids (and nearly every hockey season has a set of skids or two for every team to hit), the pressure is to "go back to what worked."  Even if it has no track record of working as the game changes.

I'd compare them in a way to the Raiders.  Whenever the Raiders brought in a coach who started to change the philosophy of the team, fans sat on their hands very anxiously if and when they were winning.  As soon as wins got hard to come by, the pressure was on to go back to "Raidah Football."  Problem was Raidah Football stopped being effective in the 80s, other than a few random years which is about the same success rate as any other team that has failed to effectively adapt.

The Flyers are unique in the identify transition, but they are not the only team that is foundering around and at least they had some parts of the season where they looked like they were headed in the right direction.  But right now I find myself scratching my head at several teams that seem to be almost sleepwalking through the season.

#3 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,012 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted February 28 2017, 11:45 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head in your description of them as an organization.  I think Hextall is a smart hockey guy and he was groomed in LA by Dean Lombardi who has a proven track record.  But I do see that internal struggle with the Flyers and their organization.  It's why they keep players like Rocco Gudas around.  But to Hextall's credit, he more than any of those before him, has done a lot to remove the old, slow, caveman type of hockey from their identity by trading or getting rid of guys like Luke Schenn, Scott Hartnell, and others.  His biggest issue right now is finding that stable presence between the pipes.  Too bad for Hextall that the previous management got rid of a young promising Goalie by the name of Sergei Bobrovsky. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online