• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,009 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 20 2017, 09:45 AM

And your comments about Kapernick not having an NFL contract being "MAD Fishy".  I think it's pretty clear, that teams will over look a lot of PR issues with a player if the talent and performance of that player are at a high level.  Clearly Kapernick's play on the field is not enough to over ride the other baggage that comes with him.  So, I'd like to be the first to tell Spike to STFU and go champion another cause, like getting Phil Jackson fired.

#2 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,600 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 20 2017, 02:25 PM

Fishy?  Really? 

I realize I am preaching to the choir here, but Kaepernick's perceived value peaked in the Super Bowl vs. Baltimore.  Even then, everybody suspected he was a system QB, and it was a system almost unique to him.  It was a huge question mark whether he could transition to an NFL QB, who is able to drop back in the pocket, make a read or two, then deliver the ball to a receiver.  At that point, someone might have been willing to bet their coaching staff could teach him to be an NFL QB/passer first, runner second and after the options to do the first were gone. 

Harbaugh tried to nudge him in that direction in his last year in SF and was not successful.  It might have been interesting had Harbaugh stayed, because maybe the outcome would have been different. Kaepernick sought out help, which is admirable, but apparently ate the pages the help left behind.  He is what he is at this point.  Unfortunately, if you are a QB that can only function in a scheme built for you, you won't be a starter and nobody is going to want you as a backup because that means they have an entirely separate offense they are ready to execute should the starter go down. 

The closest any NFL team is to running an offense he might be able to step into as a backup is Carolina, heavy on the read option.  But they are not interested, there is less than a 0% chance Richardson would allow him to be signed due to the protest tantrum, and they are also trying to transition themselves away from reliance on the read option, anyway.

That does not even get into the other baggage, which most teams would consider a non-starter because they still have to sell their product to their own fans. 

In some ways, I think he knew exactly what he was doing with the National Anthem tantrum,.  Think about it: what did he have to lose?  His stock was sliding by the day even in San Francisco where he had his only success and the franchise's only success in recent memory.  It was like the old cartoon called "the last great act of defiance," where the rat is flipping the hawk off as it swoops down, talons extended.  If my thought on that is correct, he either knew he was done and most likely done in the entire NFL due to his inability to develop into an NFL QB instead of a, well, sideshow (sorry about that SS), or he didn't think it through enough to realize he may be done in SF but not elsewhere.  Put bluntly, I think it was his version pushing all the chips into the center of the table while he didn't even have a pair in his hand.

#3 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,009 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 08:34 AM

Yep, Spike should look no further than Michael Vick and all the chances he was given after his transgressions.  Why did teams look beyond the political and cultural and even racial resistance to Vick???  Because the dude still had talent to be a productive QB. 

I think you might be onto something regarding Kapernick's master plan.  Although he doesn't seem like the brightest guy, the scenario you laid out is understandable.

#4 stigmata

stigmata

All about dat action, boss.

• Members
  • 14,083 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 09:42 AM

Actually, one place I think he could fit is as a backup in Seattle... as long as the fans up there give him a shot. Not saying I'd want him there... but I could see the fit.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

#5 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,009 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 09:46 AM

Who is Seattle's back up right now??

#6 stigmata

stigmata

• Members
  • 14,083 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 09:53 AM

Who is Seattle's back up right now??

Trevone Boykin. He was an undrafted rookie from TCU last year. Played decently when given the chance, but still super raw.

#7 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,009 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 09:57 AM

You could sell it as Kapernick being brought in "as COMPETITION for the back up".  I think Seattle fans would go for that, especially if the price is right.

#8 stigmata

stigmata

• Members
  • 14,083 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 10:20 AM

Hard to say.... a lot of Hawks fans have spent the last 4+ years hatting on Kaepernick and reveling in his failures.

Seattle's been moving away from the read-option more and more as Wilson develops as a pocket passer. Still, having that running threat in the backfield would be nice... it sure sucked last season when Wilson was gimpy half the year and our offense just disappeared.

#9 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,009 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 10:38 AM

I think Kapernick would fit into the locker room and having a coach like Pete who lets them be individuals.

#10 stigmata

stigmata

• Members
  • 14,083 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 10:43 AM

I think Kapernick would fit into the locker room and having a coach like Pete who lets them be individuals.

I imagine there would have to be some sort of serious hazing from the LOB first, though.

#11 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,009 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 11:43 AM

For sure, although Kapernick's skin should be a little thicker by now, considering this past year.

#12 GetoThunderFist

GetoThunderFist

Represent, represent.

• Members
  • 12,773 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 12:13 PM

I hear you about Spike. And I think he's wrong that it would fishy if Kap wasn't signed. The NFL is more risk adverse than racist, although the two can be one and the same. 

What I have a problem with is the idea that he's a "risk". 

For all the teeth gnashing that went on about his anthem protests he had the full support of his teammates. They voted to give him the Len Eshmont Award, which is given to the most inspiring player on the team. That tells me that every story, column or narrative that pushed Kap as a distraction was complete and utter bullshit. The people who had the biggest problem with Kap were not in that locker room but rather people with their OWN agenda. That should be noted. 

By the way, he'll never go to the Hall but he was a lot better last year. He had basically no weapons to work with and in 11 games he threw for 2200 yards, 16TDs and 4INTs. Again, not mind blowing but pretty decent considering he was dealing with all the shite he was dealing with and with an organization that was a complete disaster. 

Yet, he's having a hard time finding work while Mike Glennon signs a $45 milllion contract? I mean...come on.

It's not racist but very risk adverse....and stupid. 

#13 stigmata

stigmata

• Members
  • 14,083 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 12:18 PM

I hear you about Spike. And I think he's wrong that it would fishy if Kap wasn't signed. The NFL is more risk adverse than racist, although the two can be one and the same. 

What I have a problem with is the idea that he's a "risk". 

For all the teeth gnashing that went on about his anthem protests he had the full support of his teammates. They voted to give him the Len Eshmont Award, which is given to the most inspiring player on the team. That tells me that every story, column or narrative that pushed Kap as a distraction was complete and utter bullshit. The people who had the biggest problem with Kap were not in that locker room but rather people with their OWN agenda. That should be noted. 

By the way, he'll never go to the Hall but he was a lot better last year. He had basically no weapons to work with and in 11 games he threw for 2200 yards, 16TDs and 4INTs. Again, not mind blowing but pretty decent considering he was dealing with all the shite he was dealing with and with an organization that was a complete disaster. 

Yet, he's having a hard time finding work while Mike Glennon signs a $45 milllion contract? I mean...come on.

It's not racist but very risk adverse....and stupid. 

Yup. Owners aren't worried about Kaepernick being a locker room distraction. They're worried about viewers turning their games off because they think Kaepernick should just "shut up and play football."

#14 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,600 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 01:30 PM

Yup. Owners aren't worried about Kaepernick being a locker room distraction. They're worried about viewers turning their games off because they think Kaepernick should just "shut up and play football."

Essentially that is it.  I don't know that anyone believes he was a distraction in the locker room, other than his hair maybe blocking somebody's view of the coach.  The issue is more marketing. 

Like it or not, he is nowhere near good enough to be that eccentric.  And at 29, if you are looking for a QB who you need to work with on his game, he is not going to be your first choice.

#15 badasp

badasp

Driveby Poster

• Members
  • 2,150 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted March 21 2017, 03:43 PM

Essentially that is it.  I don't know that anyone believes he was a distraction in the locker room, other than his hair maybe blocking somebody's view of the coach.  The issue is more marketing. 

Like it or not, he is nowhere near good enough to be that eccentric.  And at 29, if you are looking for a QB who you need to work with on his game, he is not going to be your first choice.

If you're looking for a QB or backup QB would you take Kap before Fitzpatrick or Cutler? If so are you doing it because you think there's more upside or because they're white and they stand during the anthem?

UMass Lowell River Hawks - 2013, 2014, and 2017 Hockey East Champions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online