19 replies to this topic

#16 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,680 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted April 30 2017, 10:25 AM

Purportedly the Packers almost traded Brett Hundley before the second round.  The reason that is interesting is that there was also a report at that time the Packers were interested in Kizer at the top of the second round.  At that time it seemed to be nothing more than a teaser to get action for a trade of the pick.  Hundley is entering his 3rd year so shopping him now is somewhat odd, unless one does some math.  Rodgers is 33, kisser 4 years down the road could have represented another QB transition in Green Bay.  The Packers would will lose control of Hundley  before Rodgers is ready to be replaced.m  I do think that someone is likely to give Hundley a shot somewhere down the road.

Mean while back in the desert,  the Cardinals are applauded for a draft that leaves them with a 37 year old QB with no future prospect behind him.

The best time to go looking for a QB is when you don't need one.  In many ways the Browns and Niners should be applauded for sticking to their guns and not over reaching, drastically, for a QB.

Pops, the Pats seem to always be doing what the first sentence in your last paragraph says.  That yields a lot of dividends: you have a guy on the bench who can come in and not ask the center which end of the football points forward, you potentially have your future starter, and he gets attention from other QB-needy teams, so you have the option of trading him at an inflated price, rinsing, and repeating.

Carolina did some good things in the draft, and maybe immediately afterwards.  Based on some offseason moves, I expect a little younger team to take the field in 2017.  They signed Ben Boulware and Fred Ross, who SI liked as one of the best "sleepers who would exceed expectations."  They also signed Bryan Cox Jr, who will need some work but could work out to be a pretty decent DE.  None of these guys is a sure thing, but each has enough upside to be worth a shot and could yield a decent starter down the road.

There was a lot of potential (again) this year for QB overreach.  I don't think there was any, really.  The Bears essentially traded three picks to get Trubisky, but they were all middle-round picks so by comparison, they did okay.  Trubisky is a better fit for the Bears than Watson, and from Watson's perspective Houston is a better fit for him, I think.  There will certainly be higher expectations in Houston, but after Osweiler his window of opportunity is probably a little bigger than it would have been otherwise.  The other QB picks were rather restrained. 

#17 papago

papago
  • Members
  • 11,480 posts

Posted April 30 2017, 11:30 AM

Pops, the Pats seem to always be doing what the first sentence in your last paragraph says. 

The Bears essentially traded three picks to get Trubisky, but they were all middle-round picks so by comparison, they did okay.  Trubisky is a better fit for the Bears than Watson, and from Watson's perspective Houston is a better fit for him, I think.  There will certainly be higher expectations in Houston, but after Osweiler his window of opportunity is probably a little bigger than it would have been otherwise.  The other QB picks were rather restrained.

The Pats aren't afraid of spending for the future rather than throwing it all into the present. Pittsburgh is doing the same.

The Bears spent 3 picks to move one spot and that might have been because Lynch pulled a fast one. Only the guy that discards knows what else could have happened before the hand is done. The other thing the Bears are being roasted for is 3 other picks were from below FBS schools, and only one pick was on defense.

#18 papago

papago
  • Members
  • 11,480 posts

Posted May 01 2017, 06:59 AM

There is plenty of speculation as to how warm and fuzzy the relationship between John Fox and Ryan Pace in Chicago.  While Pace did inform Fox of his plans, so he claims,  it doesn't appear they both agreed on the plan.  Bears fans are questioning Mr. Pace's naiveté.

Virginia McCaskey deserves better.

#19 FourthStooge

FourthStooge

You big dummy

• Members
  • 10,680 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 01 2017, 08:37 AM

Fox is a 1970s throwback in terms of philosophy, so there is inevitably going to be friction.  I would say what the Bears did was "curious" although trading up to select Trubisky may have been the least of their problems, and I thought was pretty understandable.  It makes the Glennon move a little more understandable, although they still overpaid him.  But I think if they can get Trubisky ready to play late this season or for next, it costs them something along the lines of $18.5M vs. $45M. 

But to Fox's point, the Bears have a lot of holes.  I don't see their draft ushering in any success in 2017, which means Fox may well be gone and if things go well with Trubisky, so will Glennon.  Everything could work out well and still produce a 3-13 season.

The rub is the same with Fox as it always is.  He can get a marginally talented team to mediocrity and stabilize the ship.  To do that, he needed more defensive players rather than a QB who is probably not going to see a meaningful snap until late in the season.  And with this twisting in the wind, I can pretty much guarantee Trubisky will not see a meaningful snap unless Glennon goes down, and maybe not even then.  Fox will cut his nose off to spite his face on personnel matters.  He killed whatever chance Matt Moore had of turning into an NFL starter by 1) refusing to play him when it was obvious Delhomme was done, because Delhomme was "his QB" and 2) when he finally had no choice in the matter because management cut Delhomme loose, kept playing Moore when it was obvious to a blind man the guy had a concussion.

When you hire Fox, you get what you get.  Unless you are willing to let the team play his game and accept those limitations (as well as his, strategic genius is not his strong suit), he is on borrowed time once the press conference announcing his hiring is over.

Still, for the Bears, mediocrity would look pretty good right now.  This battle is a no-win situation for them.

#20 badasp

badasp

Driveby Poster

• Members
  • 2,188 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted May 01 2017, 02:39 PM

This year was admittedly a little different because the Pats traded picks for players but I don't know why I bother to watch the draft anymore. I've lost count on how many times they've traded out of a pick right before it was going to happen. Pats fans watch the draft to see every other team picks...at least that's how it feels. Drew Pearson was certainly entertaining.

UMass Lowell River Hawks - 2013, 2014, and 2017 Hockey East Champions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online