• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,475 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 05 2017, 11:15 AM

First let me say, that I'm happy to see we still have the board.  I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to access the site for the last couple days and was worried that they finally pulled the plug.

Now, to last nights game.  It's one of the only games I watched from beginning to end this season and it was definitely could theater.  

The Ryan Shazier injury.  He reminds me a lot of Troy Polamalu, unbelievable athlete, can change a game with his play making ability, but also, like Troy, a terrible tackler and is going to get himself killed.  Horrible tackling form, and if you continue to lead with the crown of your head like that you are either going to end up concussed or paralyzed.  Charles Woodson preached after the game to all the young football players, "Heads UP!!"  "See what you are tackling".

The hit on Burfict.  I wish JuJu wouldn't have stood over him after making the hit, but my guess is that there were a ton of happy players around the NFL who applauded the hit in a way that was like "uh hah, it's about time someone got him and gave him a taste of his own medicine".  

The hit on Brown, how he was able to hold onto that ball and not be concussed himself is still a mystery to me.

When are Defensive backs going to learn not to tackle L. Bell up high?

Roethlisberger was like jeckyl and hyde from half to half

Going into the game, I thought Cincinnati was going to win based on where the two teams are in their schedule and priorities.  Should have known, same old Bengals.

Refs over-officiated that game without a doubt.

Was John Gruden drunk?  He called players by the wrong name at least 6 to 7 times.

Peter King on Twitter said that this game would make more parents not allow their sons to play football

#2 GetoThunderFist

GetoThunderFist

Represent, represent.

• Members
  • 12,948 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 05 2017, 12:35 PM

I think it's the kind of game that would have been considered good, old-fashioned, football 10 years ago. Now, it's being seen by some as some sort of sea change. 

Don't get me wrong. It was a brutal game but not something that we haven't seen a billion times before. I thought the Gronk cheap shot was far, far worse. 

#3 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,475 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 05 2017, 01:54 PM

I think it's the kind of game that would have been considered good, old-fashioned, football 10 years ago. Now, it's being seen by some as some sort of sea change. 

Don't get me wrong. It was a brutal game but not something that we haven't seen a billion times before. I thought the Gronk cheap shot was far, far worse. 

I agree.  But, there are definitely different opinions out there.  Some 20 year old something female broadcaster on NFL live classified what Smith Schuster did in the same category as Crabtree/Talib and Gronk.  I don't.  Like you said, 10 years ago, the JuJu hit was something you would see once or twice a week.  I don't know the last time I saw a player deliver an atomic elbow to a player laying out of bounds after the play was over.  And the last time I remember a fist fight ala Crabtree/Talib was Deon and Andre Rison.

Well, just like I thought the NFL would, both JuJu and Iloka were suspended 1 game, and shows that the NFL got itself into another bind that both these guys were given the same punishment as Gronk.  No consistency.  The other thing I fail to hear from any of the analysts, is Burfict's history.  

The way the league should solve it, is implement the college football rule.  Subject to replay, if it's a head shot on a defenseless player, automatic ejection. 

#4 Cats

Cats

Yes we Cam!

• Members
  • 19,041 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 06 2017, 08:01 AM

Yep, NFL needs the targeting rule.

Football isnt on pace to die any time soon. But rules like the college targeting rule have to be opted at the top.

#5 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,475 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 06 2017, 09:15 AM

Yep, NFL needs the targeting rule.

Football isnt on pace to die any time soon. But rules like the college targeting rule have to be opted at the top.

It's crazy, but I think the NFL is in a bind when it comes to the head shots.  If they implement the college "targeting" rule that doesn't consider intent and is just a black and white review that if a defenseless player's head is contacted, it's an automatic ejection, you will have half your fan base bitching that the league is getting too soft and you will still have these same discussions on Tuesdays after games.  Yet, you do stand a chance of losing fans if you let games like Monday night continue to happen knowing all we know now about CTE and head trauma.  

Personally, I lean towards the targeting rule to be adopted in the NFL, for one, it would help to deescalate at situation.  For example, if JuJu is kicked out after his hit on Burfict, it satisfies the opponent a bit and eliminates the immediate quest for revenge.  Otherwise you run the risk of this turning into the NHL with players policing themselves.  Plus, it allows the player to come back for the next game essentially serving their suspension, unless they are a repeat offender then the league could look at extending the suspension.  It would save the league the criticism they are receiving this week for having JuJu and Iloka getting the same suspension length as Gronk and making themselves look like dumb asses. 

#6 stigmata

stigmata

All about dat action, boss.

• Members
  • 14,220 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 06 2017, 10:27 AM

People have been complaining about the NFL getting too soft since at least 1978. The problem is that the NFL seems to think that the solution for making the game safer is rule changes, while the answer likely lies in heavy investment in new helmet tech, at least in the case of concussions.

There are lots of companies out there trying to build a safer helmet, and the league needs to throw their considerable weight behind those companies, find the best option, and then mandate that all players wear that type of helmet. If the league can mandate how a player wears his socks, it can mandate a safer helmet that might look a bit odd.

EDIT: And yeah, I thought the board was 100% dead finally. I was planning to check today and maybe one more time before just giving up. With that being said, do we want to consider finding a new location and telling everyone but Pops where it is?

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

#7 g_p

g_p

The sun is gone, but I have a light

• Members
  • 6,661 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 06 2017, 10:48 AM

People have been complaining about the NFL getting too soft since at least 1978. The problem is that the NFL seems to think that the solution for making the game safer is rule changes, while the answer likely lies in heavy investment in new helmet tech, at least in the case of concussions.

There are lots of companies out there trying to build a safer helmet, and the league needs to throw their considerable weight behind those companies, find the best option, and then mandate that all players wear that type of helmet. If the league can mandate how a player wears his socks, it can mandate a safer helmet that might look a bit odd.

EDIT: And yeah, I thought the board was 100% dead finally. I was planning to check today and maybe one more time before just giving up. With that being said, do we want to consider finding a new location and telling everyone but Pops where it is?

Yes please. I tried one more time today, just in case. 

#8 Sideshow91

Sideshow91
  • Members
  • 27,475 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 06 2017, 11:32 AM

Yes please. I tried one more time today, just in case. 

Yeah, I agree.  I would be sad if I didn't have you guys to talk to at work.  :bff:

And stig, I was talking to a guy the other day and he said that the NHL is researching some type of neck collar that increases blood flow to the brain to allow it to expand within the skull giving it less room to get bounced around.  The research started when during a meeting someone asked why wood peckers don't suffer from CTE and brain trauma.  It was discovered that they have a "tighter" skull so to speak which gives the brain less room to bounce around when contacted.  The only thing negative about it, is that Mark Messier is associated with it. (I hate that guy)

Bauer is the company that created this product and I would have included the link, but my computer won't let me. 

#9 Cats

Cats

Yes we Cam!

• Members
  • 19,041 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 06 2017, 04:39 PM

why don't all y'all posers just become Panther fans.  You can join me on the Panther board.

If you need me to sell you on why the Panthers should be #1 on the field and #1 in your hearts that is easy  

#10 stigmata

stigmata

All about dat action, boss.

• Members
  • 14,220 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 06 2017, 04:56 PM

why don't all y'all posers just become Panther fans.  You can join me on the Panther board.

Only if you create an H2H forum on it and keep all the stinky, non-keepin-it-real Panther fans out.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

#11 Cats

Cats

Yes we Cam!

• Members
  • 19,041 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 07 2017, 10:55 AM

Only if you create an H2H forum on it and keep all the stinky, non-keepin-it-real Panther fans out.

98% of my post aren't in the Panther section of that board.   I'd rather just bullpoo about random crap.  I definitely do too much in the political stuff but hell, Trump has turned the office into reality TV so it is hard not to.  

also, when I talk Panthers over there I largely am deemed a hater.  For example, they think I HATED 89 because I'd call him an asshole when he was one.....and that wasn't cool to do to their god.  Or pointing out he was getting old wasn't cool unless it was immediately followed by praise. 

#12 Ben6821

Ben6821

There's no innocence, only strangers.

• Members
  • 30,523 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 07 2017, 12:10 PM

The hardest thing for us I think will be the balance between the private enough nature to embrace all our varied chicanery but with enough general traffic to keep the place "solvent" over time.

For instance, I was going to recommend this trivia site I go to. Some of the games are a fun diversion. It is pretty well managed and would not have many of the issues that caused us to flee the 4 letter in the first place, but I still pretty quickly banished the thought as the chat board would never suffice as it is sanitized for kiddies...in amongst those rules, politics is not allowed.

Even if just as just a temporary waypoint, I think Cats' Panther pesthole would be loads better. I only even mentioned it to see if it spawned a thought of anywhere else yous know that could work.

#13 Cats

Cats

Yes we Cam!

• Members
  • 19,041 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 07 2017, 01:58 PM

The hardest thing for us I think will be the balance between the private enough nature to embrace all our varied chicanery but with enough general traffic to keep the place "solvent" over time.

For instance, I was going to recommend this trivia site I go to. Some of the games are a fun diversion. It is pretty well managed and would not have many of the issues that caused us to flee the 4 letter in the first place, but I still pretty quickly banished the thought as the chat board would never suffice as it is sanitized for kiddies...in amongst those rules, politics is not allowed.

Even if just as just a temporary waypoint, I think Cats' Panther pesthole would be loads better. I only even mentioned it to see if it spawned a thought of anywhere else yous know that could work.

Trivia eh.  If an iphone user have you tried that new HQ app? It is a trivia game that goes live to users at 3 and 9.   If you make it to the end of the round you split a pot of $1000.   It got a lot of buzz in the media when it dropped a a few weeks ago.  It is free to play.  Eventually I guess you will be able to buy an extra life and that is how they will fund it after this initial build up of users.  

cool concept.  Too quick to allow for computer aid/googling.  Still going through growing pains as lag is an issue. 

#14 GetoThunderFist

GetoThunderFist

Represent, represent.

• Members
  • 12,948 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 07 2017, 04:18 PM

If we don't have pops how will we define the board?  YOU have a lot to learn about innternett. 

#15 Ben6821

Ben6821

There's no innocence, only strangers.

• Members
  • 30,523 posts
  • Favorite Team:

Posted December 07 2017, 05:24 PM

Trivia eh.  If an iphone user have you tried that new HQ app? It is a trivia game that goes live to users at 3 and 9.   If you make it to the end of the round you split a pot of $1000.   It got a lot of buzz in the media when it dropped a a few weeks ago.  It is free to play.  Eventually I guess you will be able to buy an extra life and that is how they will fund it after this initial build up of users.  

cool concept.  Too quick to allow for computer aid/googling.  Still going through growing pains as lag is an issue. 

not an Iphoner but I was helping a friend play it at work. We only tried once and fell just short of the pot. He has been off ever since but I want to try again when he comes back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

buy antibiotics online